Monday, February 17, 2014

Good writing expands the mind.

So… I've been dormant lately. Sorry. My muse went MIA and coupled with the constant snow and ice I have dipped into a seasonal type of depression. I hate it. I feel trapped. As fellow writers will understand when NOT writing, I feel anxious and frustrated and agitated like in no other way fro any other circumstance. Writing is a "freeing" mechanism. Writing helps my feelings and thoughts flow out. When not writing, the feelings and thought get cramped and jumbled, and I feel like a mouse in a maze with the smell of cheese all around but no way to reach it. I start thinking ridiculous thoughts about being forgotten because I don't write fast enough, or meaningful enough. I worry about going to conventions where NO ONE has heard of me at all! I start doubting my ability as a writer. After all, what is a writer who can not write? The words are stuck and therefore I fail.

My son asked me the other day how my writing was going and I had to tell him, "It's not." It felt sad to admit. I haven't been inspired AT ALL. And  it's cold out. I hate being cold. The kids have been off school A LOT!!!! And that is also bad. It ruins my routine. I like to have a scheduled time to write. I have been all thrown off because there is always someone home. I like silence to write. I NEED silence to write. I've had none. I've not had time to myself for weeks. Even now they are home and have locked themselves outside because one daughter went to play in the snow but didn't check the door before closing it. Another daughter was trying to hook up the TV to watch a DVD and the sound was turned WAY up and it gave that "feed back" sound that shatters glass. And then my son was up early (for a teenager) so he could ask to go to the girlfriend's house to "study" and do homework. I told him not to do anything I would write about. (lol) Always something going on and never a moment to just sit, close my eyes, and visualize my characters.

So, yesterday, I opened Names Can Never Hurt Me. I've been missing my characters Nick and RC in a bad way. I've been thinking about them a lot. A deep urge to read this novel, which is already done and submitted and waiting on publication, has been rolling through my mind and I have pushed it aside for weeks. Why? Because that one is finished. It is dangerous to reread a novel I have already submitted because I tend to change things and add things BEFORE the editor sends me edits. I shouldn't do that. I was trying to wait for official edits to reread it for fear of changing things prematurely. But, as I opened it yesterday, I realized why the nagging thought to read it was so strong. It was inspiring. I NEEDED to read it to remember how much I love Nick and RC, AND because I'm currently writing the sequel and needed to read about Corey so I could write his story. I woke up this morning with an idea of something to write and it was the first I've had in what feels like forever. SO, after blogging, I'm writing!!!

A side note is that I was over my mother-in-law's house yesterday afternoon and my niece read an article she found amusing. It was! Very amusing indeed. But it is also an example of the kind of things my family does. We talk about homophones and prefixes and where words come from and such. It is a disease in ways, but one that has expanded my vocabulary greatly over the past 22 years. I am grateful for it. I was not a literary person EVER. I was a math major. I like and understood numbers. Words and the English language … lol… not so much! It has been a hard road for me to get this far. I strive to improve, and I press on to express myself better as the years progress.

But anyway… I HAD to share this article because I think an author who can express themselves this intelligently is AMAZING and noteworthy. Authors with this type of mine inspire me! :D

This is the article: (I copied and pasted it)


SHOUTS AND MURMURS about man who describes meeting his wife at a party. In his description, he drops many prefixes. It had been a rough day, so when I walked into the party I was very chalant, despite my efforts to appear gruntled and consolate. I was furling my wieldy umbrella for the coat check when I saw her standing alone in a corner. She was a descript person, a woman in a state of total array. Her hair was kempt, her clothing shevelled, and she moved in a gainly way. I wanted desperately to meet her, but I knew I'd have to make bones about it, since I was travelling cognito. Beknownst to me, the hostess, whom I could see both hide and hair of, was very proper, so it would be skin off my nose if anything bad happened. And even though I had only swerving loyalty to her, my manners couldn't be peccable. Only toward and heard-of behavior would do. Fortunately, the embarrassment that my maculate appearance might cause was evitable. There were two ways about it, but the chances that someone as flappable as I would be ept enough to become persona grata or sung hero were slim. I was, after all, something to sneeze at, someone you could easily hold a candle to, someone who usually aroused bridled passion. So I decided not to rush it. But then, all at once, for some apparent reason, she looked in my direction and smiled in a way that I could make heads or tails of. So, after a terminable delay, I acted with mitigated gall and made my way through the ruly crowd with strong givings. Nevertheless, since this was all new hat to me and I had no time to prepare a promptu speech, I was petuous. She responded well, and I was mayed that she considered me a savory char- acter who was up to some good. She told me who she was. "What a perfect nomer," I said, advertently. The conversation became more and more choate, and we spoke at length to much avail. But I was defatigable, so I had to leave at a godly hour. I asked if she wanted to come with me. To my delight, she was committal. We left the party together and have been together ever since. I have given her my love, and she has requited it.


Here is the LINK. 

I hope you get the humor. I thought it was hilarious.

Anyway… Off to WRITE something. Pray my depression is at an end.
and remember to give when you can to TJ and Eric. YOUCARING.com. Click HERE.


Hugs to all my supporters and readers and fans. I NEED you!

Wade

No comments:

Post a Comment