Friday, August 3, 2012

Ah, to "Chic-fil-A" or to NOT "Chic-fil-A", such is the question for today...


I am not sure who knows and who doesn’t know the controversy surrounding a restaurant chain called Chic-fil-A. In all honesty, I don’t even know. As I stated in the previous blog, I don’t like gossip. Well, I ALSO kind of stay in my own little “la-la-land” writing without much notice to the on-goings of the world around me. I leave people alone for the most part and I don’t pay attention to the things that “stupid” people do. (Stupid in quotes because I am trying to alter my perception of the entirety of humanity in that context.)

Personally, I struggled with the stance that Chic-fil-A was taking over same-sex marriage and etc… They are apparently against it. I like their chicken sandwiches. I eat there often. So now I was thinking, “Should I stop?” But then, this week, I noticed a post. Someone I know was friends with someone she knows who posted something his friend posted on her wall. Are you following me? A friend of a friend sai THIS about his friend:
“I wish I could've 'shared' this but instead I had to copy and paste. This was put on Chik-fil-A's Facebook wall and I totally agree :)   (this was the friend of a friend of mine speaking. And he posted this post that was on chic-fil-A’s wall etc…)

"I'm gay and I think that Chick Fil A being strong with what they believe in is awesome. I may not agree with it but who cares, its their money that their using from their privately owned company to do so. Instead of complaining about this one company out of many that donated money to certain causes, you all could be looking for ways to support your cause. You're for gay rights? Awesome go donate money! Chick Fil A happens to be against it, so they donate money also. I don't see Chick Fil A banning gay people all because they have different beliefs. Do you? Nope! I eat there and they haven't complained about me for being gay! I'm sure they love my business just the same as a straight persons. So relax, not everybody will always have the same beliefs as everybody else, its called life. People believe in different things. That's what makes life fun and worth livining." -Emily

I guess I am blogging and pointing this out because it is said well. (In my opinion.) What I appreciate in Chic-fil-A’s stance is that they are open about it and are sticking by it. I DO NOT AGREE WITH IT, but I respect their decision to do as they choose.

Why do I say this? How can I say this? Well, think about it… Do you know where OTHER businesses donate their money? How about down the street from Chic-fil-A? Does the local Dollar Store donate their money to Nazi-war funds who desire to oppress Jews? (Stupid, out-dated example but whatever.) Does the local grocery store owner send a portion of his funds to anti-abortion clinics? Or support capital punishment? Does the place you get your hair cut support WAR, or is against it? HOW do we know where any of our money goes when it leaves our hands.

With a hair salon in mind… you go. You pay to get your hair cut. You leave. You got what you paid for. Then the owner, in their own privacy and desire to do so with THEIR money, gives a portion of that to do animal testing on products they use in their salon. IF you knew that before you went in, would you stop going there? Some say yes, but maybe some say, “I don’t really care.” KNOWING the stance of the ownership gives you as a consumer the chance to choose whether or not you spend your money there.

Chic-fil-A is giving you that knowledge and that choice. I respect that.

Where do I spend MY money? So far, including a royalty advance for a book as yet published, I –Wade Kelly- have made a grand total of $1300.00 (ish) I have spent 75% of that on various charities that I SUPPORT. You Will Rise, The Trevor Project, Various swag for my novel to hand out at the Rainbow book Fair, and some for my college friend. Does knowing where I spend my money deter you from buying my book?

What if I said I ate at Chic-fil-A today? What if I said I ate at Chic-fil-A and wrote 1342 words for my newest WIP? (which, btw, is a m/m romance.) I find it terrible funny that I sit in an environment that is against the very thing I promote and write about and support etc… They have not thrown me out. But no one has asked, “Hey there, what’ya writing?” People are blissfully unaware of who I am and what I support.

As I think most of us are most of the time.

Chic-fil-A simply had the audacity to state its opinions openly! *gasp* If we were all so brave to do so!

(As an aside… I know a manager of one store whose son is gay. But she is not treated wrongly!)


Spread LOVE not hate!





Wade

Still supporting my friend. Help if you can. http://www.gofundme.com/helpgaystudent

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment