Monday, February 18, 2013

chillin', eating chocolate, and creating the next Wade Kelly MASTERPIECE

HAHAH! I crack myself up. Masterpiece? --NOT! Amusing, literary distraction for the masses? Yes, probably closer to the truth. Yup, you guessed it, I'm writing. Not a completely different story, or new idea, but I am going back to one of the two manuscripts I am currently working on.

Names Can Never Hurt Me. 

I've been thinking on this one for a while. As I was editing TCOL, I kept coming back to scenes for this one. It is a story about stereotyping. Kind of. And so, for the first time online, here is the blurb:


Dubbed a “player” early on in life, constant sex has never been a problem for Nick—until now.

Nick Jenkins couldn’t remember a time when he wasn’t popular, when he wasn’t the best looking guy in the room, nor could he recall ever having to coax a woman into bed with him. And recently, Nick even added guys to the list of “been there—done that” when kissing Corey on a dare led to much more and on several occasions. His reputation to “screw anything” was well known, and he didn’t care. So why was the attention of someone new causing such consternation?

RC was a mystery from the moment they met. A frequent customer where Nick worked, getting to know RC was interesting, yet incremental due to the fact that he wasn’t in the “in crowd.” RC was overweight, always sweaty, and lived up to the nickname “Scruffy Dude.” Still, Nick could not let go of his deep longing for friendship, even if that friendship was with a loser.

Then, Nick finds out his new friend is gay. Will Nick look past the superficial and take hold of a connection deeper than he’s ever known before? Or will external pressures of social conformity win out—snuffing the fire before it ignites his soul.

 Thoughts? You know I love reader feedback. 

Speaking of reader feedback... Someone e-mailed to tell me they liked how the relationship between Ellis and Cole "seemed to evolve", and how I made them "earn their relationship." I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how this reader worded that. So thank you! :D 

I am working on characters for Names Can Never Hurt Me. (NCNHM) Nick and RC. Nick is a ladies man. Gorgeous (of course) and straight-ish. He doesn't think he's gay. Does that make this book a "gay for you" themed story? IDK. I am not even sure I believe in the whole "gay for you" area of the genre. BUT, I can see the appeal to the readers. One thing I know is that as a writer, you need to know your audience. (Hear me, newer writers!) You have to know to whom you are writing. Who is going to read my books. YES, I write for myself, but to sell novels you have to know who is going to read them. And I'll tell you what, there are plenty of readers who like "gay for you" style stories. Is NCNHM a "gay for you" story? I suppose it is. I wasn't really thinking that when I started it. I tend to go with a feeling in my guy and write. Nick saw Corey at a party and couldn't stop thinking about him. And the story evolved from there. I am at about 32,000 words and this one is easier to write than my other WIP. NCNHM will more than likely be the next one I complete and submit. Check my website to watch my progress ;) 

TCOL is in a holding pattern. I gave it to a publisher for her opinion. Now I'm waiting. If it is a "yay," then I'll let you know the status. If it is a "nay," then I'll be sending the MS to my graphic designer post haste so that puppy will get out there! If it was a movie, perhaps it would be in the "post-production" stage. haha. 

Book 3: Love, Trust, And Learning To Live Again (LTLTA) is also a manuscript I am working on. I have about 20k on that one. It is a harder book emotionally for me to write, plus I need to research for that one. Some subjects are not my area of expertise and I want to get information correct. BUT, both LTLTA & NCNHM are on my desktop, open, and ready to add to whenever the mood strikes. I will be tweaking my "blurb" for LTLTA a little bit before I post it. 

As far as my eating chocolate... I have a friend who gave up chocolate for Lent. Made me think about chocolate and the prospect of giving it up. I don't eat all that much chocolate anyway. I'm also not Catholic and I don't often remember when Lent it. Historically, I know it is a time period between Ash Wednesday and Easter. Right? and that traditionally people would give up something for Lent in order to concentrate on their relationship with God. Fasting and Prayer, as it were. I have never fasted. I do pray. But I have never given up something for Lent. Should I? Is that deemed more spiritual? I contemplate God often, and I don't see the point of fasting to get closer to someone I feel rather close to already. IDK. Just a passing thought. I found this awesome chocolate lava cake recipe because I was thinking about the subject of fasting and prayer.

Enjoy: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chef-Johns-Chocolate-Lava-Cake/Detail.aspx?src=VD_Summary

Anyway, this is what I've been up to. If I'm quiet, it is because I am writing. I have to continue on my roll. I want to publish more this year! I NEED to publish more.

Over ad out,

Wade

No comments:

Post a Comment