Thursday, August 22, 2013

Controversial Russia


I tend to talk about writing controversial things, but in real life I am rather dense. I do not keep up on the news. In fact, I am one of those sad people who get their news on Facebook. Yes, that is true. I scroll through the news feed and click links, and voila I read news. Often it is from the Huffington Post. Sometimes other sites that actually post news. Recently I have seen “protests” about the Olympics, and Russia, and the anti-gay rallies etc…

Let me just say I am appalled. Not shocked, but appalled. I am not shocked because I tend to think that people are capable of much worse than Russian demonstrators. Things go on in African countries that could equal the Russian activities and then some. Violence in general is awful, but am I shocked? No, not really. Perhaps shocked it is not worse yet.

I saw a post yesterday about Wentworth Miller protesting the Olympics by deciling to speak and “coming out” to Russia. (You can read about it on Advocate.com) Apparently he’s been out for years anyway. Maybe Russia is behind the times? Idk. Anyway, way to go Mr. Miller!! I applaud you for taking a stand. There were also a couple of Russian athletes recently who kissed in protest of the anti-gay laws. Good on them.

I was searching to see if there was a symbol or picture I could use on Facebook for my icon as a protest of my own against the Russian rulings etc. In searching Wentworth Miller I came across Johnny Weir. Oh. My. Gosh!

I used to LOVE figure skating when I was younger. LOVE IT. But over the years, and the fact I don’t have TV other than Internet and Netflix, I have seen the Olympics, nor have I seen figure skating in years. So, Johnny Weir was new to me. (Yes, I live under a rock.) First, I had to “pin” him to a board on Pinterest. So gorgeous. Anyway… Seems he is also against the Russian controversy. (Imagine that.) And one article on Huffington Post said he was willing to be banned or arrested if the Olympics are held in Russia. I pause to think: Would I be willing to do that?

I don’t know. I think those types of stands take GREAT courage and personal conviction. I was told in a review of TCOL that I’m ballsy and have cajones, but I seriously doubt my fortitude under such duress. I think people like Wentworth Miller and Johnny Weir are amazing people. And these are just TWO examples. Please, if you know of others, list a comment below. Shout out the true HEROS in the world who will not let people be treated sub-human like they have been in Russia. IT IS WRONG! And as a person who loved watching the Olymics as a kid, I think I'd rather skip them if this is how Russia treats people. If I was an athlete who trained forever to be there??? Well, that would be a very hard decision, but I would hope that I would stand for what is right and not for personal gain. 

I don’t have a “symbol” per se to voice my personal protest, but I stole Johnny’s picture off the internet.



I DO thank you people who are up on the news and who post things for the lame individuals like myself who need help when learning about the world at large. Continue to post. I am reading them.

Other news… TCOL hit #5 on Amazon on Tuesday, but it seems 5 was as high as I go with this one. (Now it’s #14) As long as it lingers in the top 20 or 50 or whatever, that means people are at least buying it. So far I have seen very few reviews to know how you readers are receiving it. I do hope you like it. I am always worried about it.  On a good note it is #17 on Dreamspinner Press. I’m still going to go with the phrase “Go GREEN,” because the cover is green, lol, and buying in ebook saves paper etc. So GO GREEN and buy off Dreamspinner Press. But WLINE is still hanging in on The romance list at#88. :)

I am writing. I have 72k on Names Can Never Hurt Me. I have outlined and structured the chapters so I can see where there are holes. I am pushing to get a first draft done so I can begin edits. I want it to be GOOOOOOD!! This one is somewhat funny, not as serious, and probably a little quirky. I am not a huge reader so I am not sure at what point the “suspension of belief” ends/begins. IDK. I am using my storytelling imagination and going with it. I like my character Nick Jones. I think he is funny in an idiotic sort of way. He gets himself into all sorts of messes on his way to personal and sexual awareness. My newest form of a blurb is:


What if sexuality wasn’t a definable thing, and labels merely got in the way?

Nick Jones couldn’t remember a time when he wasn’t popular, when he wasn’t the best looking guy in the room, nor could he recall ever having to coax a woman into bed with him. And recently, Nick even added guys to the list of “been there—done that” when kissing Corey on a dare led to much more and on several occasions. His reputation to “screw anything” was well known, and he didn’t care. Constant sex had never been a problem. So why was the attention of someone new causing such consternation?

RC was a mystery from the moment they met. A frequent customer where Nick worked, getting to know RC was interesting, yet incremental due to the fact that he wasn’t in the “in crowd.” RC was overweight, always sweaty, and lived up to the nickname “scruffy dude”. Still, Nick could not let go of his deep longing for friendship, even if that friendship was with a loser—and a gay loser at that.

When friendship with RC stirs longings deep within his heart, Nick is faced with a need to look past the superficial and take hold of a connection deeper than he’s ever known before. External pressures of social conformity threaten to snuff out the fire before it ignites his soul, but the deeper question for Nick is why one relationship should define his future as he navigates the waters of self-discovery and sexual identity.


What do you think? Would you read that? Let me know. Comment. E-mail. FB message me. Tweet me. All of the above. Let me know your thoughts.

And if you liked TCOL, let me know that too.

Laterz,

Wade

By all means, follow me on Twitter, "follow" my BLOG, "like" me on Facebookadd me to your "circles" on Google+, check out my pins on Pinterest, review my books on Goodreads and Amazon, become a “FAN” on Goodreads.com; and check out my webpage often for changes. And spread the name of Wade Kelly like wildfire. *winks*


No comments:

Post a Comment